Saturday, July 25, 2020

Thoughts: “What You Waiting For” by Somi

Photo taken from Google Images.


Hello!


Somi had recently released her music video for “What You Waiting For” last July 22.


I first learned about her comeback after seeing Blackpink promote it on their Instagram account. Since I liked “Birthday”, I got a bit excited about her comeback.


Coincidentally, last July 22, her music video was recommended on my Youtube feed so I immediately clicked on it to check it out.


First of all, I liked the song. I thought that it was really catchy. It was also impressive how much different it felt and sounded from “Birthday”. It was more mature and I think it fit her new image more because it seemed edgier and more grown up instead of leaning on the more cutesy stuff. The message of the song also seems a bit more grown up because based on the English translations, the song was about liking someone but that person hasn’t told him/her how he/she felt. Because of that, the person is upset and starts to doubt the other person’s feelings.


Second, I think Somi tried a new singing technique for this song because she sounded the same but at the same time different. I can’t really explain it well but I think it really suited the song and showed her versatility as a performer.


Third, the music video looked good. It was darker and less colorful but it really suited the song’s feelings. Also, she didn’t have as much outfits compared to the “Birthday” music video but I think her outfits here looked way better and more expensive. She also looks really pretty and more grown up here. Her light brown hair color really suits her. I also liked her expressions because she looked like someone who was really upset so she was disconnected from the people around her who were having a good time.


Although, I noticed that she seemed to have lost a noticeable amount of weight. I hope she’s keeping healthy.


All in all, I liked the music video and the song. I’ve been repeatedly watching it and listening to the song because it’s currently stuck in my head which makes me want to listen to it over and over again. I’m looking forward to watching her perform this song on stages because I really like it. I’m also looking forward to her outfits for her performances because I hope that they’ll look as good and classy as her outfits in the music video. 


That’s all for now, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment