Saturday, May 16, 2020

Thoughts: “Not By The Moon” by Got7, “Eight” by IU (Prod. & Feat. Suga of BTS), and “Knock” by Astro

Hello!

For this post, I just wanted to talk about three music videos that I’ve watched so far this May. These are not the only music videos that I’ve watched so far this month but these are music videos that I’ve watched for the first time since they’ve been released.

Given that I love these artists, I tried to write unbiased thoughts about their recent releases. I tried to write them as soon as I watched and listened to the music videos so that my thoughts would be my initial reactions and feelings. Doing this prevented me from listening to the songs too much until they grew on me.

So moving on…

“Not By The Moon” by Got7

Photo taken from Google Images.

This was released around April but I only got to watch and listen to the song around May 3 because when it was released, I wasn’t really in the mood for listening to it because I just finished watching Bang Bang Con the weekend before the release. Also, I guess I missed the release date even if I saw the teasers for this. I don’t really know why I didn’t even know it was released the day that it was. I only found out because I came across the music video on Youtube and I was seeing snippets of it all over social media. But then again, I still didn’t watch it until I felt like it because I wanted to give it a chance and not have my mood affect my appreciation for the song.

Anyways…

In the music video, I thought that they kind of looked like kings or princes. They had very regal and expensive-looking aesthetics where everything felt very fancy or classy. I also liked the minimal use of colors and the light and dark contrasting aesthetic. I also loved the ending scene in the moving carriage.

As for the performance video which I watched after watching the music video a couple of times, I loved the smooth movements and that each member was highlighted during their parts. However, I honestly thought that some movements seemed a bit awkward-looking.

Moving on to what I think “Dye” and “Not By The Moon” means…

From the song, I think that “Dye” means being imprinted in the heart. It’s making a mark on someone. I also think that it could mean bringing color or meaning in someone’s life. As for “Not By The Moon”, I think it meant that they wanted a lasting kind of love. Since the moon changes (i.e., different phases), if you swear by it, there might be a possibility that the promise will end when the moon changes. And they wanted the person (or Aghases) to love them forever or give them lasting love.

All in all, I think I don’t think I love this song as much as “You Calling My Name” but I think I still prefer it over “Eclipse”.



“Eight” by IU (Prod. & Feat. Suga of BTS)

Photo taken from Google Images.

I watched and listened to this song the same day that it came out which was on May 6. I saw it on my Youtube home feed and I clicked on it.

I actually really liked this song because it sounded so chill and light. It kinda makes you feel good and hopeful. I didn’t get to understand how meaningful the song was until the following day when I got to watch it with subtitles and I got to learn the meaning behind some of the animated characters (i.e., girl in white is Sulli and lizard turned dragon is Jonghyun). I’m not sure how true this is but I kept seeing this theory in my social media feeds and I thought it made sense seeing how according to the theory, there was a lot of allusions to the looks or favorites of her two late friends. If these theories are true, I think that the song is such a beautiful tribute to them and it seems kind of healing because it felt like letting them go but at the same time, remembering them and keeping them in your heart.

I think the message was that she’s kind of happy and hopeful that they (or someone else) are in a happier and better place now but she also feels sad that they’re not with her anymore. I also think that she’s saying that there’s no permanent goodbyes and that they’ll be reunited again some day.

Aside from the song and its meaning, I also loved the video’s aesthetics. The use of different animations and live action was brilliant because I think it really helped in setting the story. I also loved the contrasting use of the futuristic and nature scenes. 

I also loved Suga’s rap which transitioned to singing.

I’m more impressed with them after this collaboration because they were really able to really make us feel the sadness and hopefulness after experiencing something so heartbreaking.



“Knock” by Astro

Photo taken from Google Images.

This was released on May 4 but I got to watch it on May 10. I wasn’t able to watch and listen to it right away for because for a similar reason as to why I didn’t watch or listen to “Not By The Moon” right away. The only difference was that I knew when this was going to be released prior to its release date.

The music video aesthetics was one of the things that really captured my interest. I thought that it was really beautiful and the dark and light contrast was really able to highlight the muted colors and the members’ visuals. I also liked the space concept that’s very fitting of their group name.

I have two thoughts about the song’s meaning. 

First is that it could be about a couple’s breakup but the guy wants to get back together because when they broke up, his world seemed to get darker since his life probably became lonely and things probably started not being okay. I think he believes that if they reconcile, everything would be okay again.

Another meaning is that it could be connected to “One & Only”. This could be a message to Arohas that as long as they are there, they are happy and okay.

All in all, I’m not sure if I really loved this song because I didn’t really love the chorus part. I’m not really sure why but it might be because it felt a bit out of place for me given the feel of the song. Also, it seemed a bit loud and in your face compared to the rest of the song.



All in all, I think these three songs kind of have different feels to them which could appeal to different people or moods. Personally, I think I would listen to “Eight” more just because I think it suits my preference more than “Not By The Moon” and “Knock”.

That’s all for now. If you’ll have song recommendations, I’m open to hearing them.

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment