Saturday, May 23, 2020

Thoughts: “Daechwita” by Agust D

Photo taken from Google Images.

Hello!

So yesterday, Suga dropped his D-2 mixtape which I was really surprised about. I’m aware that there had been a countdown going on for a big surprise and I’ve been seeing a lot of Army accounts theorizing that the surprise might either be an Agust D 2 mixtape or JJK1 mixtape. Despite these theories, I decided to just be patient and wait for the official release or announcement. Since the countdown was D-2 yesterday, I was kinda expecting it to come out today since today would be the D-1. So when I saw the “Daechwita” music video on Youtube, I was so surprised.

Since I already saw it, I immediately clicked on it. And from the beginning I was really hooked on to it. I really love the chorus even if it’s repetitive. I can’t actually get it out of my head right now.

My first thought when I heard the song was what is “Daechwita”? I immediately googled what it was and I found that it’s a genre of Korean traditional military music. According to my mini research, I learned that it was played during guard changing ceremonies at the palace or whenever there is an opening and closing of the military headquarters. After finding that out, I asked myself how that relates to the song. And I think it could be related to the song’s message of how he rose to the top. He worked hard and used his skills so that he could rise to success and now he’s at the top.

Another thing that I noticed about the song was that it was kind of a diss track to whoever looked down on him and tried to put him down. I think that this was such a clever clapback to all of their haters.

All in all, I think this was kind of very hiphop and hardcore especially if you compare it to “Eight” which is his collaboration with IU. 

Moving on to the music video, I really liked the old-looking Korea theme. It kinda looked like I was watching a historical drama especially with the King Suga. But then modern-looking Suga arrives with a car who kills King Suga. I think King Suga represented him being successful and reaching the top but the modern-looking or peasant Suga is him recognizing where he came from. By killing King Suga, I think he was trying to show that he is staying true to himself and not letting the fame and success get to his head.

I think that’s all for now. I really love the music video and the song even if it’s not really the type of music I often listen to. 

Bye! 


P.S. I found the Jin and Jungkook short cameo really funny. And I love how the members support each other’s solo projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment