Saturday, March 28, 2020

Thoughts: BTS’ “On” and “Black Swan”, Itzy’s “Wannabe”, and Astro’s “One & Only”

Hello!

So the last time I posted about music videos, it was for the Kinetic Manifesto Film of BTS’ “On”. But there had been a few releases after that that I watched and listened to although I haven’t been able to write my thoughts about them here. But now that I have the time and energy to write in this blog, I will.

So the thoughts that I will be posting here will be based on what I wrote in my journal so that it would be mostly my initial thoughts after watching the video. I may also write about my thoughts after rewatching the videos for a couple of times.

So here it goes…

BTS’ “On” Official MV

Photo taken from Google Images.

BTS released the official music video for “On” on February 27. So this was about a week after the release of the Kinetic Manifesto Film.

One of the first things that I’ve noticed in the video were the Biblical references. I felt that there were a couple of Biblical references in the video and the most notable one for me was Noah’s Ark. 

It also had a kind of dystopian world feel. When I first saw it, it kind of reminded me of the “Maze Runner” movie, the Divergent Series, and the Hunger Games Series. I’m not really sure why. I think maybe because the scenes somewhat felt like even if the scenery was filled with a lot of green landscapes, it still felt a bit trapped and filled with hardships until the end part when the rock formations opened to reveal the mountain that looked like the mountain in “The Lion King” when you suddenly feel hopeful and almost like a celebratory feeling especially when Jungkook was running upwards the mountain.

Aesthetically, I think it was beautiful. It was a contrast to the Kinetic Manifesto Film where it was a lot brighter with the blue skies and the bright pavement.

However, I honestly still prefer the Kinetic Manifesto Film. I prefer it over the official MV mainly because of the dance. I really loved their choreography for this song and in the music video, we didn’t really get to see it apart from the dance break.


BTS’ “Black Swan” MV

Photo taken from Google Images.

The music video was released on March 06. It was such a surprise when it was released because it wasn’t included in the comeback map and there were no prior announcements that they were going to release another music video for “Black Swan”. I thought that the music video that was first released was going to the only music video for “Black Swan”.

Anyway, I wasn’t mad about not knowing about the release of this music video beforehand because it was a pleasant surprise. It just suddenly popped up on my Youtube feed while I was scrolling through. And since it immediately caught my attention, I immediately clicked on it.

The music video itself was so artistic and was really visually stunning. I think it really made use of the shadow and ego concept. I was also really impressed by Jimin’s dance. He was so fluid and graceful.

However, I think the song hasn’t really grown on me yet from the time it was released because when I watched it, I didn’t feel the same excitement as I had when I first heard “On”. I guess it comes down to preference and I typically prefer a more upbeat music. Although, I do appreciate the string instrument sounds that are heard throughout the song. I think it makes it stand out a bit more and it gives it a bit of a melancholic feel.


Itzy’s “Wannabe” MV

Photo taken from Google Images.

The music video was released on March 09. I was excited about this comeback because I love Itzy’s songs. They tend to have an energetic vibe which is good when you’re trying to hype yourself up.

For this song, they didn’t disappoint. It was a really catchy song and I especially loved Ryunjin’s part at the beginning with the shoulder dance.

The song also had an empowering message about wanting to just be yourself despite being imperfect and despite what anyone says. I think that’s a really important message because it’s okay to change yourself if it would make you happy and a better person. But if you’re only changing yourself to please others and you’re changing yourself to someone you’re unhappy or uncomfortable with, then you shouldn’t do it. 

But despite loving Itzy’s concept, I do wish that in the future they would be given a chance to try other genres and concepts so that we get to see the different sides of Itzy.


Astro’s “One & Only”

Photo taken from Google Images.

The single was released on March 13. 

At first, I was honestly disappointed because there was no music video. I initially thought that it was going to be a comeback but as it turns out, it wasn’t. It was a special gift from them to their Arohas to celebrate their fourth anniversary.

Anyways, I wasn’t disappointed for long because I really liked the song. It had a sweet message that really communicated how much they love and appreciate their fans. What made it even sweeter was that they participated in the song’s composition.

I hope that when they have a comeback, they also include this song in the album.



So those were the releases that I wanted to write about. As a fan, February and March were fun times because I had a lot of releases to look forward to.

That’s all for now.

Take care and bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment