Saturday, August 6, 2022

Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff… OMNIBUS | Book Review



Hello!


I finally finished my first book for the year last July!!!


I’m so happy because I’m finally moving forward with my goal of reading more books. 


I kind of went through a couple of techniques to try to reach my goal faster. And in the end, I learned that I’m the type of person who is better at focusing on one book at a time. It was easier for me that way to retain information on what I was reading because I noticed that I tend to forget things quickly when I tried to read two books at a time. 


Also, I got myself into the habit of reading more frequently and I’m now in the process of teaching myself to read more consistently and to read more in a day.


Anyways…


The book that I’ve recently finished is “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff… OMNIBUS” by Richard Carlson. This book is a collection of three of Richard Carlson’s books. His books which are part of this collection are: 

  • "Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff… and it’s all Small Stuff"
  • "Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff at Work"
  • "Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff about Money"


I got this book a few years ago because my mom recommended for me to read “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff… and it’s all Small Stuff”. I don’t even remember anymore when exactly she recommended me the book but she was previously reading that book and since I’m a worrier, she told me to read it too to help me put things in perspective and not worry about everything. I initially planned to just borrow her book but one day, while I was perusing the aisles of one of the bookstores that I frequented, I saw this book and thought why not buy it since it’s a collection of three books related to not sweating the small stuff. 


After reading this book, I definitely think it was really worth buying because I learned and realized a lot of things while reading it. 


Some of my takeaways from this book are:

  • I may not have the power to control everything happening in my life but I have the power to control my thoughts. So, instead of sulking and whining about the negative things that are happening, I should focus my attention on the positive things and take charge of my life by using my energy on trying to change the things that I can control or would improve my life.
  • I should avoid being reactive and panicky because these would affect the clarity of my thoughts which would then affect how I decide and how I go about the situation.
  • I should listen better because by doing that, I’ll understand other people better and I’ll get to learn more from them. Also, by genuinely listening to people instead of planning what I’ll say after they stop talking, I won’t stress myself out while in a conversation and I’ll actually understand what they are actually trying to communicate to me.
  • I should also be kinder and avoid taking part in gossiping or talking bad about other people behind their back. 
  • I should also stop doing things out of fear because it just adds unnecessary stress.
  • It’s great to always have a plan but I must not forget to enjoy the present.
  • I should learn to be genuinely happy for others.
  • I should always strive to be kind and understanding because people respond better to kindness and understanding which would definitely help me avoid a lot of unnecessary stress.


I felt like reading the book definitely helped me reflect on things I already knew but I guess I just never really put them into consistent practice.


I definitely recommend this book especially to people like me who tend to worry a lot. This would really help you reflect on the little things that cause you unnecessary stress and how not to let them get to you.


That’s all for now. I hope to finish another book this month.


Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment