Saturday, May 9, 2020

Thoughts: “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” by Jenny Han


Hello!

Last April 30, I was able to finally finish reading “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” by Jenny Han. This is my second finished book for the year. I actually thought that I wouldn’t be able to finish this book until at least May 01 because ever since I started pushing myself to read, I still had days when I didn’t feel like it. And April 30 was one of those days when I didn’t really feel like reading a lot. But then when I set myself a timer, I was so absorbed by what I was reading that I was actually able to finish the book. I’m also really proud of myself for doing this because I think I’ve read more books this year compared to the past two years. I’ve actually started reading the sequel to this book as I’m writing this.

Anyways…

I guess I should start by saying that I watched the movie first before reading this book. I actually watched the movie in 2018 with my sister when she had just discovered about the 30-day Netflix free trial. So it had actually been about two years since we had watched the movie and I decided to purchase the books. I actually promised myself that I wouldn’t watch the movie sequel until I actually finish reading the books just so that I could avoid waiting for certain movie scenes while I was reading the book. Also, reading the books first would help me get to know the characters more.

Moving on to the short summary of the book. [If you don’t like spoilers, this is a warning that spoilers are coming up.]

The book centers on Lara Jean’s experiences during the first half of her junior year in high school up until the Christmas holidays. In the beginning of the book, we learn that Lara Jean’s elder sister, Margot, is going off to a university in Scotland. This made her really sad that her sister is moving so far away because the three sisters had always been together especially after their mother’s death with Margot taking on the responsibility of caring for her younger sisters.Margot’s move definitely became a life-changing experience since the whole family would be adjusting with Lara Jean taking on the elder sister responsibilities previously done by Margot. Not only that, we learn that Margot also broke up with her boyfriend Josh who is a close friend of all he Song girls.

One day, all the letters that Lara Jean had written as a form of goodbye or moving on letter to all the boys she had loved before got sent out. At first, we didn’t know who did it but in the end we found out that it was Kitty who sent it as a to get back at Lara Jean for teasing her about wanting to name the dog that she wants to have after her crush who was Josh. She didn’t really mean to harm anyone with what she did, she just thought that Lara Jean told Josh that she had a crush on him and she just wanted to get back at her for it.

Anyways, we learn that Peter and Josh are two of the recipients of these letters after talking to Lara Jean about them. We also learn that there were other boys who have been sent the letters which I think makes it about five letters in total. To save face in front of Josh and to avoid anything that might affect his future reconciliation with Margot, Lara Jean and Peter agreed to pretend dating. (FYI, Peter also had a motive for pretending to date Lara Jean so it made the agreement kind of mutually beneficial)

Eventually, Lara Jean and Peter start to develop feelings for each other and they start falling in love. In the end however, they ended up fighting but Lara Jean wants to make up with Peter because she truly loves him and she didn’t want their relationship to end just when it started for real.

All in all, I loved the book because it kept me interested. I wasn’t just waiting for parts that I saw in the movie which I think is really good because it was able to offer me something that was so much more than what I saw in the movie. It actually had a lot of parts that I don’t think was given enough highlights in the movies such as the close relationship of the sisters and their friendship with Josh.

I was also quite surprised that Peter wasn’t as lovable as he was in the movie. There were actually times that I kind of felt annoyed or upset with his actions.

Finally, the book had short chapters which I think is really good for people who want to read but finds it hard to focus. It was kind of rewarding to be going through so many chapters in a few minutes so that makes it feel proud of yourself which helps you to keep reading.

That’s all for now, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment