Sunday, December 16, 2018

My Journey to Minimalism


Photo taken from Google Image.

Hello!

I’ve been really fascinated by minimalism for a couple of months now but I haven’t taken any big steps towards achieving it until recently.

But first a brief background about how my fascination with minimalism began…

It all started when I came across some videos of Youtubers who said that they were minimalists or that they were on a journey to a more minimalistic lifestyle. This originally got me hooked on the minimalist aesthetic because of how clean it looked and how everything seemed to be well thought out and useful. Ever since then, I’ve been interested in watching and learning more about it and how these people lived their lives. However, before, I thought that actually applying it in my life is just not for me because I saw myself as a maximalist who loved and collected a lot of things, especially stationeries, clothes, and bags. I’m also the type of person who has a lot of knick knacks organised around my living space because I thought that they gave my space some personality and unique touches.

But for a couple of months now, I’ve come to realize that even if I owned all of these things, I haven’t been using all of them or using them to their fullest. I tended to gravitate to only using a couple of things and not using the other things much. This made me feel like the money I spent on these things weren’t as well-spent as I had originally thought. I also got frustrated whenever I cleaned and I looked at the amount of stuff I owned that I needed to tidy up.

All in all, I felt like I was living in a very chaotic space. I felt like my mess was not really helping me adjust well to my new life experiences because I felt so disorganized and confused. I also wanted a space that would convey that I’m now an adult who is responsible. 

So recently, while I was watching videos about things that some minimalists say that they don’t buy anymore, I noticed that a lot of those things that they mentioned were things that I usually spent a lot of money on. However, I realized that some of those things were also items that I knew I could live without. If I don’t buy them anymore or avoid buying them as often as I had, I could still live and function well.

Those videos greatly encouraged me to actively try to become more minimalistic. I wanted to try to be more purposeful with my belongings and get rid of things aren’t as purposeful to me anymore.

I have recently gotten rid of a lot of clothes and bags that I haven’t worn in so long or they weren’t as flattering on me. I also got rid of clothes that I kept saving for when I lose weight. I have also started getting rid of some files or documents that I don’t need anymore.

I used to be afraid of getting rid of things because I felt like I might need or want them again in the future. However, based on my recent experiences with my massive declutter, I’ve become happier because my space wasn’t so messy and at the same time, I’ve never really looked again for the things that I got rid of.

That’s all for now about my journey to minimalism. I might do a series on this regarding my updates on my journey’s progress and maybe some tips on how to get started.

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment