Saturday, February 22, 2020

Thoughts: BTS' "On" Kinetic Manifesto Film


Photo taken from Google Images.

Hello!

So BTS’ music video for “On” came out yesterday. I was unable to watch it a soon as it came out but I tried avoiding spoilers and reading what others had to say about the song so that I could form my own opinions and thoughts without the influence of others. 

Immediately, one of the first things I noticed was that aesthetically, the music video was gorgeous. The location was bright and there’s not a lot of distracting things around so I think I was able to focus well on their choreography and what they were singing instead of trying to absorb the different set changes and their possible meanings. Also, since it was bright, we could clearly see their choreography and their styling. The different camera shots were also able to showcase the synchronized choreography really well.

I also liked the styling for this video because BTS and their backup dancers had different but cohesive-looking outfits. It seemed like everyone was styled differently because no one seemed to be wearing the exact same outfit. Also, BTS only had one outfit throughout the video so it was easier to spot and keep track of them amongst all of the backup dancers. And the contrast between three members wearing white and three others wearing black seemed to fit the theme of ego and shadow. Although I’m still not entirely sure why Jin was wearing a jacket that seemed to have a bluish front. I’m not sure if its a light wash denim or not but I’m thinking there must be a reason why his jacket seems different from the others. I’m not sure what yet about what that means or even if it means anything but I kind of want to find out more when the other “On” music video gets released on the 28th. 

Finally, another observation was that this song kind of sounds different. I think they were using autotune here a bit differently than before. I don’t think it’s bad but it felt different in a good way. It seems that they used it not just to enhance their voices. I don’t really know. But I think it worked quite nicely with the whole musical arrangement because it felt more intentional and purposeful like they used it to make the song feel more artistic.

Moving on to the lyrics, I think that the song had a beautiful message that despite the uncertainty and failures, they were willing to push through it all to achieve success and become better. They were ready to face anything that life throws on their paths.

Overall, I think this comeback is really exciting because BTS is really showing their versatility and creativity. I think they’re really proving why they are at the top right now.

That’s all for now. I’m also looking forward to watching the other “On” music video that will be coming out on the 28th. 

Bye!

P.S. Let’s stream“On” Kinetic Manifesto Film. Here’s the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwMa6gpoE9I
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment